Wednesday, April 9, 2014

WWOOFing in Heaven 

On Monday, I stumbled into heaven. After 3 days with Jane and Peppe, i soaked up as much relaxation and civilization as possible in preparation for the unknown woofing experience I was about to have. Little did I know I was about to be wrapped in the arms of the most loving and wonderful host imaginable. Anna worked in fashion and interior design for years before selling everything (she kept her apartment in Colosseum Square in Rome) and bought a beautiful farm in Viterbo. she started a purely biodynamic farm following the principles of the Australian biodynamic teacher Alex Podolinsky. Anna is a wonderful person full of life and love. Tomorrow she turns 70, but from her calm demeanor and spritely frame you would never guess she is a day over 50 or 40.  From the moment I arrived, I knew I was in for a wonderful experience. Anna has turned the property into a beautifully styled and infinitely functional wonderland for all things farm and cooking related. Emanuel, the one other wwoofer on the farm, and I have our own ensuite rooms while Anna's apartment is upstairs. The heart of the house is the beautiful open plan commercial kitchen and living space. Anna grows fruit which she transforms into delicious jams and preserves, as well as a huge variety of produce. She also produces a variety of cheeses and yogurt in her caseficio which features two floor-to-ceiling glass walls so she is surrounded by the views as she works. Everything centers around the biodynamic principals of enriching the soil and using using one process to supplement another, as well as the various homeopathic remedies for leaving the soil more fertile than when you started (Ill make another post about this later). The first thing Anna said to me when I arrived was 'the most important thing is that you leave here happy' and every day she  makes that a reality. So far, my time here has been wonderful and full of learning, cooking and joy. 

The pool which has yet to be opened but is one of the most serene places on the property.



Anna's retail point cottage...


The main house porch and yard.



Look at how many plates, cups and bowls! Dinners for 50 people here I come!



Me and Mauw, happily passing the afternoon siesta in the lawn...



The greenhouses at sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment