For anyone who doesn't know, Eataly is the gastronomic wonderland that pools together everything good, everything honorable, everything wonderful, everything authentic, but above all everything scrumptious in the world of food under one roof. And its all produced in Italy. As if the 'grocery' (and calling it grocery feels like a slap in the face since it is so far elevated above the sad run-of-the-mill blah we experience on a day to day basis), you can dine at one of the many, many specialty restaurants, cafés or bars located in each section.
Of course as soon as I saw this sign my backpack felt like a cloud and my shoes were made for walking. I knew 40 minutes was no where near enough time, but I made the 1/4 mile dash under tracks and across the street to experience the throes of pleasure that only deliciousness can provide.
This Eataly is 4 levels, but I only had time to make it through one. I have to admit that I was a little surprised at just how New York it all felt. Having frequented the one in NY it's scarily similar, but I guess that's what you get with a chain. Even the prices were the same, still eye watering, except here you pay in euros, not dollars. I guess importing the items half way around the globe doesn't actually add much of a mark up. Overall, because you can buy such delicious ingredients at what seems to an American to be such ludicrously low prices in towns all over Italy, Eataly actually felt kind of like a big farce, or at the very least, extremely redundant. However, that's not to say I didn't enjoy gorging on samples and ogling all the chocolates immensely.
I'm still planning on visiting the original Eataly in Torino when Jordan arrives in -eee!- 15 days but I'm glad I got the shock out of the way of feeling like I am back in NY. Just look at that Berkel!!! Yay food!
No comments:
Post a Comment