Sunday, April 13, 2014

Goodnight Rome


'Stay strong' Anna said to me as we rounded the corner. A few moments later we were looking down Via Della Calciliazone to Michelangelo's dome of St. Peter's and Bernini's colonnade. The Vatican at night. Beautiful. 

When I woke up yesterday morning I wasn't planning on being in Rome, but a last minute call from an important client brought Anna to Rome for deliveries and we decided to stay two nights in her flat in the city so she could take care of some housekeeping items. But of course we could not just arrive in Rome without Anna's Italian hospitality kicking in an insisting on a tour of the city by night. 

Besides the Vatican, Anna pointed out many wonderful sites, but my favorite was only about 1 inch in diameter. A keyhole in a door on the Piazza Della Cavalieri. Peeking through a tiny keyhole, you get a perfectly framed view of St Peter's down a tunnel of hedges. The view is too perfect to describe, as if the whole city were designed to deliver this one serendipidious vignette. I am using a photo for an other blog because it captures the experience so much better than I could (http://ourspecialeveryday.blogspot.it/). After Anna and I walked to the park for a spectacular view of the city. The view was amazing, but the smell from the orange trees was something altogether heavenly. 

After our site seeing, we arrived at Anna's apartment on Colloseum square, opened the shutters to the cool night breeze and took in the Colosseum. 



Looking through the keyhole. 


Anna walking in the park.


No comments:

Post a Comment