This is Domenico serving the lamb on traditional Sardinian wooden platters.
Mari and I were up until 10:30pm the previous night making these morsels. They are little packets of the lambs internal organs and are amazingly addictive. To make them, the lungs, pancreas, liver and heart are chopped into tiny pieces and seasoned. The mixture is then put into the casing that our organs are held together by, I have no idea what it's called but it looks like a piece of lace. Then you take the little packet and tie closed using the intestines. Gross though it may sound, you may never taste anything from a lamb that is better in your whole life. I was so close to not eating these because my job was to clean the lamb intestines which was quite possibly the most foul kitchen job I've ever endured (and even after washing the shirt I was wearing twice I still don't feel like it is clean), but I'm so glad i did try them. As soon as I can get my hands on the entire inside part of a lamb I'll make it for everyone back home!
For desert we had Juncata and caramello with mint. Juncata is the cheese they make after they've added the coagulant and let rest, but before they've broken the curd to make the harder cheeses cheese. It's incredibly delicate and creamy and caramel just falls straight in love with it.
But this is what it's all about. That is a hot, crispy piece of lamb fat and I swear you will never have a more delicious mouthful in your entire life. Because all the flavor of what the lambs eat is stored in the fat, the fat from Mari and Antonio's lambs is incredible. These lambs aren't being fed your average mix of pellet feed and straw, they are eating grass so green it makes my mouth water, and milk from their mother rich with the nutrients from that same grass. I wish I could bring this back for all of you, but alas, I'm sure border control would have something to say about it.
All in all it was a day of hard, hard work but also wonderful to be able to share Lamb and cheese with so many people.
No comments:
Post a Comment