First things first, when in Rome- see Pope Francis on Sunday morning. I showed up at 11am to catch the public mass, but more importantly, to be at the public blessing at noon. I have to say that all Italians seem to really like the Pope and even from 10feet away through the crushing crowd and a sea of iPhones all taking a million photos it's not hard to see why. Just look at that smile. And many Italians believe he will be a wonderful influence for the church and be able to do many great things. I was very excited to be here, and even more so because it was Palm Sunday. After the Mass, the pope takes a lap around the road constructed out of barriers, waving to people, stopping to talk, kissing children and blessing them. It's a wonderful sight and takes quite a bit of time. He isn't rushed or hurried, and when he stops to talk he laughs and connects with those who have come to see him.
Afterwards, I met up with Page and Marco to do some sightseeing, but first an apertivo Spritz consisting of Aperol and Prosecco.
Paige and Marco biked to the public blessing and were kind enough to ride together so I could take the second bike and we could travel by bike instead of foot. Check out the bike Marco gave me to ride, it's an orange 'Dutch' bike and even says HOLLAND on it- and underneath, 'made in Italy' in tiny letters! Ah memories, memories...
Marco drinking from a Roman fountain, which is introduced to Paige and I proudly as 'The best water in all of Europe'. It's delicious.
Entering the Pantheon...
Marco enlightening us as we looked out over the Roman Forum ruins.
It was amazing and I can't wait to come back with Jordan- this time next week we will be touring together!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment