I made it safe and sound to Cutrofiano, even with the train changes. Last night I saw the dairy and got a little tour and today it was down to business. I woke up to a steady rainfall, and while the shepherds had their work cut out for them bringing grass to the sheep (I'll explain this another time), we started off washing cheese- lots of cheese. After about ten days the cheese gets a blue bloom on it that needs to be washed off so it will continue to ripen and harden. A blooms acts like a blanket which keeps mioisture in, but this moisture also prevents it from hardening and maturing so the more you wash a cheese, the harder it will get. Here are just some of my freshly washed sheeps milk cheese rounds-
The daily tasks are varied and I'm sure I've just scratched the surface today. There are chickens, dogs (sheep dogs and play dogs), cats, and a duck. I also learned how to milk today which is a lot harder than it looks. As a complete neophyte I milked 2 sheep (pecora in Italian), before the third I was starting stepped in my bucket and I had to give the little I had gotten from it to the dogs. Like I said its hard. And it's a lot harder when your slow and they realize what's going on and start trying to free themselves from your inexperienced hands. Here are just a couple more photos from the farm.
CATS!
ReplyDelete