Monday, March 31, 2014

The Finale

Cutrofiano has been a wonderful, wonderful experience. I've learned how to make cheese, how to milk sheep and how to cook and drink like an Italian (I'm still working on this). Today the final sheep gave birth-

Can you see them?? Triplets! Antonio and Domenico announced this with big, big smiles- it's like a great finale to a wonderful season of lambing. With fireworks in Italy, they often end with three great bangs, which is a serendipitous parallel to our last three lambs.

We celebrated with pizza, beer, and a kind of fritto misto (ie delicious fried things like potatoe mint balls, breaded eggplant meat balls, and actual meat balls- yum). I'm getting ready to leave on Thursday and am definitely going to miss this wonderful little slice of heaven. Not everything has been a walk in the park, but the joy of seeing three happy, healthy lambs and a big healthy mama sheep is an event that makes even the most mundane day end on a happy note. 

No comments:

Post a Comment