Helping at a working dairy is varied, busy, and always eye opening. I wake up around 7:00am, work and learn until 1:00pm or 2:00 and then there's a break until milking at 4:00pm. Today, I took advantage of the bikes at the farm, and despite my misgivings about the drivers and road rules (which to a foreigner) seems completely out of control in Italy, Mari assured me that there was nothing to worry about. In this part of Italy, between 1:00pm and 4:00pm no one is on the road as they are eating or sleeping. And it's true, on my 1 hr ride only 3 cars passed me going the same direction I was.
Seeing the area for the first time was just what I needed to get over the initial shock of a new place. It's very very flat which makes for enjoyable, easy bike riding. Getting out of the farm showed me that although the area is rural, there's s lot here. There are lots and lots of olive groves and vineyards. About 30 minutes away by bike is a small town called Collepaso. It has everything you'd expect in a small Italian town- restaurants, bars, shops. But of course everything was closed due to the time of day.
I loved these steps. It's not uncommon in Italy to find doors that are higher than street level. And how else do you get steps to go all the way up while still being able to drive a tiny car down this tiny street? You build them sideways!!
Another thing I absolutely love here are the buildings with multiple layers of paint in different colors, they are absolutely stunning and something I've never seen before. I assume this happens when they are painted and then repainted and then the paint wears off which leaves these beautiful, interesting washes
So that was of various colors and gradients. I'm sure the sun plays a role in developing the patina as well, since the sun plays a part in so much of the aesthetics here.
I always imagined that Italy looked a certain way but expected to be disappointed since pictures never really tell the story of a place. New England isn't all sky scrapers, New York isn't all Broadway and Los Angeles isn't all movie stars. But what I've found in Italy is a place where everywhere you turn something pleasant is always in view- it really is just as beautiful as all those glossy photos of it make it out to be. In terms of food and scenery, Italy doesn't disappoint you at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment