'You don't go to Emilia-Romagna for the wine'. True, you go to eat. Emilia-Romagna is a food paradise and today I took full advantage of the fact that I've wandered into the land of milk and honey. I organized a picnic entirely of IGP/DOP products and I'm quite proud of the results-Proscuitto di Parma, Vignola cherries, 36 month Parmagiano Reggiano (quite literally the most intoxicating texture and flavor Parmasean I've ever experienced- grainy at first, then melting, and full of delicious lactic flavor and then the tang and salt). I also got some grapes (because I'm addicted) and some other cherries, similar to a fresh maraschino) that were tart, but delicious, and perfect in shape and color. I also felt I had to have a little Porchetta because I know it would probably be the last time! It's roasted pork filled herbs, like fennel and garlic, fat, and spices.

Afterwards, I had gelato at La Moretta which serves only seasonal and artisnal flavors- I opted for honey and Pecorino Romano, and a frozen panna montata (Italian whipped cream) with chocolate and sambuca.
To end the day, I sat in the lawn chairs with a glass of the Lambrusco from Ca Penelope. They cultivate the grapes on the property organically and harvest each year. If you look closely in the distance, you can see the first row of the vineyard.

I wish someone had told me how wonderful this area was sooner. Please, if you ever go to Italy, be sure to head to Emilia-Romagna. The people are kind, the food is incredible and the scenery feels like you've stepped into a gorgeous coffee table book.
No comments:
Post a Comment