So I’m off and I can’t wait. Let me say that one more time - I can’t wait! Thank you everyone for all your encouragement and candor. Everyone put wind in my sails and there was never a discouraging word, and for that I am so grateful. I would love to be writing emails to everyone everyday but chances are that I’ll have very limited access to internet so instead I am going to use this as the place to share all my news. Thank you everyone for every story, tip and wish - I can't wait to share my time with you!
To go on this trip is an opportunity for me to explore ideas which have always interested me but I have never been able to experience first hand. Ever since reading Sugar Blues (yes muzzy gave it to me) in middle school my ears have always perked up at any mention of how food, and after reading and watching 2nd hand how food is produced, the effects it has on our bodies and the impact it has on our society or environment. I decided that I can't wait any longer to see this first hand experience. I've had tiny tastes of what food can be but I want to experience the process.
Make no mistake, I love to eat. LOVE it. Which is why Italy is so perfect. As the birthplace of the Slow Food movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Food), it's mindset towards food is something I am dying to see. I want to learn their commitment to traditions and quality, seasonality, regionality and everything in between. Who knows, it could turn out not to be for me, but as someone whose jumped from desk job to desk job, I can't wait to get my hands dirty and get a taste of something that excites me.
No comments:
Post a Comment