Monday, February 24, 2014

Skiing Ischgl

Ischgl is an amazing place to get outside. The ski area sits on the border of Austria and Switzerland, and the 44 lifts on the mountains can carry up to 90,200 people each hour. With kilometer after kilometer of groomed trails ranging from a meandering wandleweg (waking way) to a trail with a 70% gradient that has to be groomed with a special groomer and and winch system, this is a paradise for every level of skier. I chose to snowboard this time even though there are considerable flat lengs at the bottom and between peaks where you have to unstrap, and even though it's much less popular than skiing in Europe. I wanted to try something different, and I'm glad I did because the conditions were perfect for it, Here are just a couple of photos of the skiing and I'll post a couple more of more specific things-




These were the lines to get up he hill using the silvrettabahn cable car in the morning. Each cabin holds 24-18 people depending on how you pack them, so it doesn't take as long as you might think, maybe 20minutes...

Views from the silvrettabahn...

 


Top of the mountain reading the map (which I could only do for about 5 minutes before I would give up!)


Everything else...











No comments:

Post a Comment